Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's a Jungle Out There

When Hunter was five and we lived in the magical town of Astoria, Oregon, I took him to see a production by the Missoula Children's Theater.  He wanted to get up on the stage and perform.  He is theatrical and loves being in front of people.  Surprisingly, they came here to our Army base this spring, so I got him to the audition and (like everyone else who "tried out") he got a part in The Jungle Book.  It was an intense week of practice (3-7 every day, Monday to Friday) with two performances on Saturday.
 He did well and enjoyed it, and would like to do it again when the opportunity comes around.  He was a wolf pup.  I've been trying to get him into baseball but have gotten the run around because of his hemophilia, and the season is already two weeks along.  At this point I'm hoping for swimming come June. 
He likes to bear his testimony at church, and does it all on his own.  My policy has always been that when a child of mine wishes to do that, he is more than welcome to do it, himself.  I also recall one of those First Presidency letters read from the pulpit that discouraged parents from whispering testimonies in their children's ears.  So, he comes up with something to say and heads up there.  Today, it was that if we wish to receive answers from God, we need to read the scriptures.  If we wish to talk to God, we must pray.  People sometimes ask me if I coach him.  Uh, no.  If only he would be so pious at home... 

4 comments:

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

Wow--All he needs is a way to channel his energy! It looks like he had a great time. I love the picture of him on one knee and a big smile. What an awesome testimony...I bet you were pretty proud:)

Unknown said...

Out of the mouth of babes! Love it :-)

Dawna Greer said...

Great post! What an awesome opportunity for him to participate in that play. Love him in the costume--he seems to be really enjoying himself. Amazing testimony! He's learning the right concepts--sometimes I think it takes a lifetime to put them into practice!

The Merrills said...

You know how to say it how it is!