Monday, December 29, 2008

Milk the Allergy

So we've discovered, once again, that Hunter must be allergic to milk. When I nursed him as an infant, he would have bloody stools if I drank too much milk. When I weaned him and he started drinking milk, he had diarrhea. I would go back and forth giving him other things to drink (rice or soy), then eventually revert back to milk. Starting at about age 4, he had non-stop ear infections. We don't know if drinking milk influenced that or not. We finally had tubes put in his ears this summer (again) and had his tonsils and adenoids removed. His life is much improved, but I wonder if all that inflammation and distress was at least partially due to the milk. Then, late this summer he developed some eczema on his hands. I gave him fish oil for a month and it cleared up. Then a couple of months later it came back with a vengeance, with his skin cracking and bleeding. The fish oil helped at first, then not so much. I stopped giving him milk to drink, and within two weeks his hands were nice and smooth again. It must be the milk!

5 comments:

Kristal said...

That sounds horrible! Milk allergy would be awful! I love milk. Congrats on being pregnant!!!! That is so great! Did you find a naturopath in NC? I'm glad you are figuring out something to do for your house situation. Are you still going to look for a job now that you don't have 2 house payments?

Living Lavallee said...

Once we learned I was pregnant I decided that getting a job wasn't in the cards for now.

I had a final phone visit here with my ND in Oregon after learning I was pregnant. She had several recommendations for a healthy pregnancy. That was the ultimate reason for going to her in the first place, and now we've accomplished our goal. She said she had about 4 patients all trying to get pregnant, and now we all are.

our big bus said...

WOW!!!!
I'm so happy for your family.

imbritney said...

Milk allergies do stink... At least they have *some* (although not-so-palatable) alternatives. Glad you found it, though.

And, congrats on the pregnancy! Here's to hoping that it's a happy, healthy baby!

Skousen Seven said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you and your family. Life is such an amazing miracle. Hope you have uneventful pregnancy.
Hope your New Year is awesome! Love ya