Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winter Fun



Several weeks ago, while Dean was still convalescing from his knee surgery, we decided to take a short family vacation down to Myrtle Beach, SC. It's only 2.5 hours from here, and a hotel with an indoor water park was recommended by friends, and in the winter season it was a bargain to go. We had a lovely time. The boys played their hearts out in the two water parks - one in each of the two buildings that make up the hotel. Even Tristan had a little fun. I couldn't get many good pictures because it was too steamy; the water was nice and warm.

We have never paid for TV our entire 10 years of marriage. I just can't bring myself to do it. So, it is always a huge treat for me to get to watch the History Channel, and the Discovery Channel, and the Learning Channel..., so I was content to stay in the room with Tristan and watch the two TVs, but did go with the boys a few times to play.


This restaurant was recommended to us as well, and it's always a treat to have Brazilian food. Of course they bring the meats by so fast, and I want to try them all, but feel like such a glutton. It was delicious, and Dean always loves to surprise the staff with his Portuguese.




Here's a picture of the little man. He has been the most wonderful baby and we all love him so. He does this face when he's eating baby food. He has 8 razor-sharp teeth now, which is hazardous for Mother who is still nursing! He army crawls, and gets up on his knees to crawl, and ultimately gets around pretty well now. I'm slowly starting to baby proof... He is 7.5 months old. He says "la la la" and "ma ma ma" and "na na na". It melts my heart!





Here is my new 'do. I love having long hair. Those who knew me as a child might not recognize me for the last 10+ years, as my mom always gave me a boy-looking haircut. It's thick, and I remember getting "rats" in it at times, so off it went. After leaving the nest, I found that without perms, it would actually grow - imagine that! So, it's all been down as far as my waist, but alas, it is too heavy, so I've had lots of layers cut into it, while still keeping some length in the back. Every couple of years I get layers, then a couple of years later tire of them and cut them off...





Snow! On the North Carolina coast! By morning we had seven inches. It typically snows here maybe once in 8 years or so, although we did get a slight dusting of snow once last year. Hunter was out playing in it before 7:00. We were woken by Kyler at 7:00, as he came in demanding snow attire. Dean and I both recall staying out in the snow playing until we could barely move our lips or fingers; these guys don't last nearly as long! Last night Dean and I racked our brains trying to think of where there might be enough of a slope to take the boys sledding, as we have a couple of disc sleds, but it's pretty flat here. Kyler tried the drainage ditch in the front yard, but it didn't much work.






Oh, and we did find a van. We got just what we wanted, and Dean talked the dealer into just the right price. With a shockingly nice tax refund, and the money from selling Dean's car, we don't have any debt, either. Dave Ramsey would be pleased. It is a 2004 Chevy Venture with eight seats. We're still getting used to all the controls. We haven't had a Chevy yet. It's especially nice to be able to separate the boys so they don't fight like banshees where ever we go.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures!

Regina said...

eight teeth! I thought Dustin's six were a lot! Also, I take back EVERYthing I ever said about nursing moms who complain about biting babies. Some babies are biters and I have one. I finally, truly started him on solid foods this week. We are still at the 1 tablespoon a day stage. I can't believe it took this long, but he just wasn't ready until now.

KaNdRa and JaReD said...

I love this post. So many good things going on in your life! You and your hair cut are looking great!
The kids are so cute and hopefully are being good to you today:)